Wausau Historic Preservation Commission

Wausau Historic Preservation Commission

Originally named the Wausau Historic Landmarks Commission, the Wausau Historical Preservation Commission was formed in 1975 when the Common Council adopted an ordinance forming the Commission. At that time, the Commission was responsible for designating certain buildings as historic landmarks. However, they did not have the authority to protect significant buildings from destruction or regulate changes to the exterior appearance of these buildings. In 1993, a new Historic Landmarks Ordinance was created allowing the Commission to not only designate certain properties as landmarks and groups of properties as historic districts, but it also provided a new and powerful historic preservation tool - the authority to formally review and act accordingly on requests by property owners to alter or demolish designated landmarks and buildings within historic districts. More on Wausau Historic Preservation Commission

Below is a current list of Local Historic Landmarks and Local Historic Districts In Wausau:

Wausau Club (A National Register Property)
309 McClellan Street

Yawkey, Cyrus, House (A National Register Property)
403 McIndoe Street

Old Engine No. 4 Fire House
215 West Thomas Street

Stone Hearth Bakery
529 North Third Street

Elmergreen Building
114 Grand Avenue

U.S. Federal Building
317 First Street

Lyman Thayer House
812 Grant Street

St. James Catholic Church
621 North Second Street

St. Mary’s Catholic Church
408 Seymour Street

Athletic Park Granite Wall and Front Entrance
324 East Wausau Avenue

1936 Portion of Wausau East High School
708 Fulton Street

Former Chicago Northwestern Railroad Depot
209 Washington Street

Former Milaukee Road Depot
720 Grant Street

St. Stephen Lutheran Church
502 McClellan Street

Oak Island Park Field House (Shelter)
500 River Drive

Duey Wright House
904 Grand Ave

Charles Manson House
1224 Highland Park Boulevard

Marathon Park Exhibition Building, Judging Pavilion & Cattle Barns 1 & 2
1201 Stewart Avenue

Nathan Orr House
915 Grand Avenue

Louis Marchetti House
912 Grand Avenue

Big Kitchen & Stone Entrance Structures of Marathon Park
1201 Stewart Avenue

Stone Shelter Structure of Pleasant View Park
1221 Sumner Street

Barker Stewart Island
600 Island

Wausau City Hall
407 Grant Street
 

Downtown Historic District
Andrew Warren Historic District
Easthill Residential Historic District