Although only around six years apart, the two public gatherings on Wausau's Third Street shown in these postcards reveal the changing attitudes towards German-Americans in the 1910s.
In 1979, Ed Schoenberger constructed his public art installation, "The Pinery," which led to vigorous discussion and debate.
During his youth in the early 1880s, John H. Koehler remembered being enamored with the ginseng plants he encountered in the shaded forest near his family farm in Hamburg Township. Although it would take a few years before he returned to the crop, Koehler would become a major figure in the development of the industry.
The results of and information about the historic picture judging at our booth this year at the Wisconsin Valley Fair.
On June 9th, 1914, over 12,000 people gathered in downtown Wausau for the unveiling of a new sign over the city hall. The new sign stood thirty feet tall, with hundreds of electric lights to illuminate the massive letters that spelled out the new city slogan: WORK FOR WAUSAU.
In April 1920, the Marathon County Agricultural Society made a surprising announcement: the 52nd annual Marathon County Fair was to be canceled.
A recent donation hints at an unusual moment in Marathon County history in the story of William A. Edwards' remedy wagon.